Tuesday 30 September 2008

Little Things Can Make a Difference - Or How I Learned to Love Organic Skincare

"If I were to say I have always been an eco-friendly or green person (or as my ‘funny friends’ call me a tree hugger), I’d be lying.

Sure I’ve always had a love of nature, I would spend hours watching documentaries on wildlife (especially rainforests and anything to do with aquatic life) with my dad as a kid; but that was about it.

So what changed? Well as a student I finally fulfilled a dream and visit a rainforest myself. It was breathtaking, and just what my imagination had always led me to believe… well at least it was at first.

It was after I was show the devastation that had been made due to deforestation, and the effects it had on the wildlife that began to change my life (just look at the picture above, it saddens the heart). Since then my lifestyle has swayed greatly over the years to living it in an ecologically friendly way. It’s a cliché I know, that one person can’t make a difference, so why bother? Well because if everyone did bother then it would make a difference, and every small step, even from one person, is a move in the right direction.

Of course it’s not been easy. Where I live recycling has only just become a mandatory thing in regards to weekly waste collection (before that it was a trip to the recycling centre once a week) and the selection of organics products has been pretty poor, with the exception of organic food, which most supermarkets stock a selection of.

However food and recycling is only a small part of it and as a woman I wanted to see if I could go green on one of our biggest failings, skincare, cosmetics and toiletries. These items in normal life are so full of toxins and unnatural ingredients it’s surprising us girls aren’t responsible for melting the icecaps on our own.

Where to start? I mean organic skin care and organic toiletries? Where the heck do you get these things? Yes we know there are places that don’t test these on animals, but that’s not the same thing (though something I do applaud). My search took me online, and it was there I found that you can get almost anything you need for day to day life, all wrapped up in an organic, natural and eco-friendly little package (figuratively and literally).

The ranges of organic skincare on offer are huge with brands such as Eselle, Spieza, Miessence and much more beyond all doing facial skincare products such as moisturiser to facial cleanser and face wash to lip balm (yep something as simple as that has an eco alternative).Then there is body skin care, such as hand creams and lotions, body moisturisers and soaps and body washes all of which have “green” counterparts.

Toiletries and cosmetics are another must for us girls and we aren’t failed here either. Organics lipstick, eyeshadow, mascara and even foundation are readily available online. Organic toiletries are taken care of with organic deodorants, body powders, organic perfumes and more; the even have organic panty liners, towels and tampons in case you’re not sure.

Now the point is that these aren’t just good for the environment though. These things are all good for YOU. Many of the skincare and toiletry products we use, as well as cosmetics and make-up we apply are so full of chemicals and toxins you’d not be surprised about my statement that a women getting ready for a night out could kill half a rainforest on her own, and if it does that much damage to the environment, then what bout the toll it takes on you.

So come one girls, give it a try. It is true one person won’t make a difference, but if we all try to help the planet (and help ourselves and our bodies as well) even with just a few things where we can such as an organic skincare alternative, or some organic deodorant, or even organic cosmetics… then that is a start to making a difference."

Article by Kim Walsh
Self confessed 'Tree Hugger' and proud of it!

No comments: