Monday 6 August 2012

Why 'Cry It Out' Sleep Training Harms Baby

Organic cot mattress shoppers may be interested to know why letting their baby cry it out and fall asleep themselves may not be the best thing for them. I remember when my youngest was a baby, I was told by a very well-known baby sleep book that I was too soft and that I should let her cry herself to sleep in her cot to get her used to it. Well after an hour of complete inconsolable wailing, her in her cot and me in the next room crying myself, I gave up and never let her cry like that again. An article I read today nearly 7 years later explains that I may have killed a few of her brain cells in the process of trying to get her to accept sleeping in her own cot! According to Darcia Narvaez, an associate professor of psychology at Notre Dame, when babies are stressed, their bodies release cortisol into their systems -- a toxic hormone that kills brain cells. Babies brains are only 25% developed at this young age, so its not exactly giving them a great start and instead results in a higher probability of them developing ADHD, poor academic performance and anti-social tendencies, because human babies are hardwired for hands-on comfort and care. For the full article see http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

No comments: